Best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Delhi, India
Are you looking for the knee replacement surgeons? Cure My Knee has the solution. We provide the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi. We have more than 15+ impaneled Best knee replacement surgeons that conduct the surgery with the latest techniques at affordable prices.
We offer traditional treatment methods as well as latest surgery techniques that help you in faster recovery. At Cure My Knee, all common to difficult and complex orthopedic conditions are treated with equal respect and expertise.
Dr. D K Das , (Founder & Director of CMK) he is also one of the Best Doctor for Knee Replacement in Delhi. With profound knowledge and more than 21 years of experience, he has treated more than 10,000 patients in India and abroad. Along with his highly skilled team of surgeons, anesthetists, cardiologists, medicine specialists and physiotherapists at Cure My Knee, he makes sure that the patient receives a risk-free and painless treatment.
Here is the List of Best Doctors for Knee Replacement in Delhi
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 21 Yrs. Exp.
Dr. DK Das Clinic
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho), FIJRS (United Kingdom, Germany),
- Location: South Delhi
- Dr. D. K. Das is a well-experienced orthopedic and joint replacement surgeon who is the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi, India. He has areas of expertise in treating joint deformities and pain management. He has treated more than 1000+ patients from all over India and worldwide. He is the most experienced surgeon having sheer knowledge and skills in surgeries.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 37 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho)
- Location: South Delhi
- Dr. Pradeep Sharma is a well-known orthopedic surgeon having more than 37 years of experience. He is considered one of the best knee replacement surgeons in Delhi. His area of specialty is joint replacement surgery of hip and knee surgery.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 28 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho)
- Location : South Delhi
- Dr. P S Gill is a trauma & joint replacement surgeon in Delhi, India. He has more than 28 years of experience in knee and hip arthroplasty. He can also treat several problems related to the shoulder, wrist, elbow, and hand.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 22Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, D.Ortho, DNB(Ortho), Fellowship in Spinal Surgery (Bordeaux, France)
- Location: West Delhi
- Dr. Neelabh Verma can treat several deformities related to fractures in the knee & hip, spinal surgery, and elbow replacement surgery. He is a renowned knee replacement surgeon in Delhi. He has expertise in treating joint-related problems.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 22 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho), Fellowship in Adult Joint Reconstruction (Australia), Fellowship in Joint Replacement (USA)
- Location: New Delhi
- Dr. Ashish Dewan is a well-known Knee Surgeon in Delhi who has renowned nationally and internationally for his contributions to teaching, research, and excellent operating skills.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 31Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S (Gold Medalist), M.S(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho)
- Location: Kanpur
- Dr. Agarwal possesses 20+ years of experience in Orthopedics, Orating, Teaching & Managing hospitals. He also offers diagnostic and therapeutic services. He is the best Orthopedic and Knee replacement Surgeon in Kanpur.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 15 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), Fellowship in Hip & Knee Surgeries (New York, UK)
- Location: Rohini, Delhi
- Dr. Anuj Malhotra has an experience of 15+ years in Orthopedics. Some of the treatments done by him are External fixator, Wrist problems, Skeletal Muscle Therapy, Disk slip, and Musculoskeletal Pain Management.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 32 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho)
- Location: North Delhi & South Delhi
- Dr. Kamal Dureja has 32 years of experience in Orthopedics with expertise in Foot and Ankle Surgeries. He has performed more than 10,000 surgeries in his field. He also performs arthroscopy surgery on the knee, ankle, and hip fractures.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 16 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, DNB(Ortho)
- Location: Mumbai
- Dr. Rahul Khot is a well-known orthopedist having more than 16 years of experience in treating patients with Joint Replacement, Trauma, and Arthroscopy. He is a good joint replacement surgeon in Mumbai. He has done various revision surgeries in Joint replacement.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 18 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho)
- Location: New Delhi
- Dr. Sudeep Jain is an eminent spine surgeon having more than 18 years of experience. He has performed more than 1000 surgeries in India. He is a dedicated orthopedic and neuro spine surgeon. He can treat problems related to bone and joint deformity.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 10 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, DNB(Ortho), M.Ch(Ortho)
- Location: Sonipat
- Dr. Gagan Kansal has an experience of more than 10 years in orthopedics. His specialization includes all types of orthopedic surgeries, joint replacement, and Arthroscopy. He is well-known for offering excellent patient care.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 30 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, DNB(Ortho), M.S(Ortho)
- Location: Chandigarh
- Dr. Vikas Mehra has performed around 5000 orthopedic surgeries. He has done complicated hip, shoulder, and knee replacements as well as spine surgeries. He also performs arthroscopy for sports injuries. He is the best orthopedic doctor in Chandigarh.
Knee Replacement Surgeon - 18 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, DNB(Ortho), M.S(Ortho)
- Location: Gurgaon
- Dr. Anuj Chawla has diverse experience in managing most orthopedic problems including trauma, arthroplasty as well as arthroscopy. He has extensive experience in managing both foot and ankle trauma. He can also treat several problems related to joint pain.
Knee Replacement Surgeon 16 Yrs. Exp.
- Education : M.B.B.S, M.S(Ortho), Fellowship in Endoscopic and Microscopic Spine Surgery (USA, California, South Korea)
- Location: Gurgaon
- Dr. O. P. Gupta is a highly specialized and experienced Orthopedist. He has an extensive experience in Joint Replacement Surgery and Spine Surgery and exposure to all kinds of ailment cases for more than 16 years.
The knee joint is a hinge joint that constitutes two articulations formed between the patella, thigh bone (femur), and large shin bone (tibia). The patella or kneecap protects the front of the knee joint.
There are various ligaments that surround the knee joint and provide stability and strength to the knee joint. The knee joint is encircled by a joint capsule with collateral ligaments lining the inside and outside of the joint.
The collateral ligaments limit the sideways motion of the knee. Whereas the crossings within the joint are lined with cruciate ligaments. The Anterior Cruciate ligament (ACL) helps stabilize the knee joint by connecting the thigh bone to shinbone. The Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) which works as a counterpart to the ACL limits the backward motion of the tibia.
The meniscus is a C-shaped thickened cartilage pad, between the shinbone and the thigh bone. Each of your knees has two menisci, one on the inside(medial aspect), and the other one outside (lateral aspect) of your knee joint.
Bursae is the fluid-filled sacs serve as gliding surfaces between the knee joint and reduce the friction of the tendons. Patellar tendon is a large tendon attached to the front of the tibial bone and large blood vessels referred to as popliteal space passing through the area behind the knee promotes blood circulation throughout the knee joint.
Muscles Surrounding the Knee Joint
- Quadriceps muscles: Present in front of the thigh and extend throughout the knee joint. It constitutes the main bulk of the thigh and are the most powerful muscles in the body.
- Hamstring muscles: These muscles run down the back of the thigh and helps bend your knee and extend your hip.
Functions of the Knee
The knee joint is one of the strongest joints in the human body allowing movement of the leg while supporting the body's weight. The knee flexes normally to a maximum of 135 degrees and extends to 0 degrees. The knee joint helps in carrying out essential movements like walking, standing, running, and sitting.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee Replacement Surgery or Knee Arthroplasty is a process that involves cutting away the damaged parts of the bone and cartilage from your knee and replacing it with an artificial joint also known as a prosthesis. The prosthesis is usually made of alloys, high-grade plastics, and polymers. Knee replacement surgery helps in relieving pain in highly damaged knees. As a result, it also restores your mobility and function.
To know whether or not you need knee replacement surgery, you must visit an orthopedic surgeon first.
The doctor will run certain tests on you and check your knee's stability and strengths to determine whether you need surgery? Depending upon the severity of knee damage, you can be treated with medication, physiotherapy or surgery.
Your doctor can choose from a variety of knee replacement prosthesis and surgical techniques, considering your age, weight, activity level, knee size and shape, and overall health.
When a Knee Replacement is Needed?
A Knee Replacement Surgery might be needed if you are suffering from chronic pain in the knees that cannot be healed with medication and physiotherapy and surgery is the only option.
To get rid of severe pain and difficulty, a knee replacement surgery may be performed. Knee pain can be caused by several problems but the most common is arthritis which damages the knee joint with time. People with osteoarthritis have a problem walking, climbing stairs, and performing daily tasks like using the washroom, and getting out of bed or chair. Knee arthritis is of three types- osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and traumatic arthritis.
However, the most common reason for knee replacement surgery is osteoarthritis.
Symptoms you need to understand: -
- Chronic pain
- Difficulty in walking
- Difficulty in folding or stretching the knees
- Tingling sensation
- Stiffness in the joints
What is the procedure for Total Knee Replacement?
The surgical procedure will depend upon the patient’s requirements but some general steps are to be followed in every knee replacement surgery.
Before the Surgery
- You may be asked to undergo several medical tests before the operation to know your previous health conditions.
- Blood test, urine test, and an electrocardiogram for knowing your pulse rate may be suggested by your orthopedic surgeon.
- Your surgeon might also ask you to fast for 8 to 9 hours before the replacement surgery.
- You will be given general anesthesia before the surgery so that you are put to sleep or regional anesthesia to numb your operated part.
During the surgery
- The orthopedic surgeon makes an incision on the front edge of your knee
- After separating the muscles and the ligaments around the knee, your knee surgeon will gain access to the knee joint with the help of specialized tools
- After which, the damaged parts of the knee are removed and replaced with new prosthetic components
- Before your incision is closed an X-Ray will be taken to ensure that the new component of your knee is positioned correctly
- Your orthopedic surgeon will close the incision with stitches and staples and temporarily leave a drain in place to remove the excess fluid
- The surgery can take up to 60 to 90 minutes for both of your knees
After the surgery
- After the surgery you are taken into the recovery room for a blood test, pulse rate, and other tests, and later on you will be shifted to your hospital room.
- Physiotherapy and exercises will be started after 24 hours of the surgery.
- Depending upon your knee condition, you will be discharged after 4-5 days for bilateral surgery and 2-3 days for unilateral surgery.
- Later, your orthopedic doctor will also suggest some precautions such as not using stairs for 20 to 25 days, using a walker, stick, or supports for walking, avoiding folding your legs, etc.
What Precautions to take after Knee Replacement?
If you undergo knee replacement surgery, you would need to take care of certain things.
- Walk with the help of a walker for the initial few weeks
- Take good care while using the washroom
- Always sit on a stable chair
- Wear anti-slippery slippers
- Get a good and comfortable mattress
- Avoid using stairs
- Use a footstool to elevate your leg
- Follow your surgeon's instructions
What are the Types of Knee Replacement Surgery?
Depending upon the location of the deformity in the knees, your surgeon may advise you to undergo one of the types of knee replacement surgery as mentioned below:
Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
In Total Knee Replacement surgery, the damaged knee joint is completely replaced with a prosthesis (artificial Joint). The surgeon will remove the damaged bone, cartilage, and connective tissues and will replace it with an artificial joint made up of metal, alloys, plastic, or gold.
The damaged cartilage from the thighbone and shinbone will be removed along with the kneecap and other supportive connective tissue and replaced with a prosthesis by an orthopedic surgeon.
Partial Knee Replacement
In Partial Knee Replacement surgery, only the damaged part of the knee is replaced with the artificial joint. This is done to protect the original bone and soft tissues as much as possible. The process is similar to total knee replacement surgery except changing only the damaged bone or cartilage.
In this surgery, the surgeon either removes the medial part of the knee joint, the lateral component of the knee joint, or the kneecap present in front of the knee joint. Partial knee replacement is called uni-compartmental knee replacement.
Revision Total Knee Replacement
A patient may undergo revision total knee replacement if their first surgery is unsuccessful or their artificial joints are damaged for some reason. Revision total knee replacement surgery is difficult to perform and the prosthesis used in this surgery has longer stems to completely fix inside the joints.
Read more about Revision Total Knee Replacement.
What are the diagnostic tests done before the surgery?
Before knee replacement surgery, a patient undergoes a complete physical examination in addition to other imaging tests to know the patient's medical condition. The diagnostic tests done before the surgery suggested by the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi are:
- MRI of the affected joint
- Blood profile test
- Blood sugar test
- CBC Test
- LFT & KFT Test
- Chest X-ray
- ECG Test
- DSE Test
- HIV Test
Some of these tests are suggested to every patient but some special tests like Chest X-ray and DSE test are suggested to only those patients who have some previous health condition.
What is the success rate of Knee Replacement surgery?
Knee Replacement Surgery has a very high success rate with very few complications. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), more than 90% of patients experience a reduction in their knee pain after they went for knee replacement surgery.
According to recent research done by “Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches”, more than 90% of knee replacement surgery lasts about 10 years and 80% of knee replacement lasted about 20 years. Exercise, physical therapy and stretches help the patient to ensure the long durability of the implants.
What is the best age to have Knee replacement surgery?
Knee pain is a common problem that anyone can experience. It usually occurs due to any injury, illness, disease, or overuse of the joint. A knee replacement surgery helps a patient restore the mobility and functioning of the knee. Many people believe that knee replacement surgery should only be done in old age. But in reality, anybody can undergo knee replacement surgery depending on the severity of their problem. Anyone can undergo knee replacement surgery if –
- There been any underlying diseases since your childhood
- You experience extreme pain in your knees
- Your knee pain doesn’t go away with medicines and physiotherapy
- You are unable to perform your daily life activity due to knee pain
- You have met with an accident or injury that had damaged your knee joint
Always Choose Your Doctor, Not Hospital!
This quote is always true. Choosing a Doctor is always better than choosing your hospital because:
- Doctors are always experienced in treating the problem the patient face but maybe the hospital you choose does not have a doctor who is having relevant experience in your problem. So, choosing your doctor can result in the diagnosis and treatment of your specific problem.
- The consultation charges of the hospital may vary from the doctor’s consultation charge in the clinics. So, choosing your doctor is more cost-effective than choosing your hospital.
- The hospitals also charge some amount for the services they provide apart from the consultation charge but seeing a doctor in their personal clinic could only result in the consultation charge.
- Choosing a doctor is also helpful because your doctor can operate in any hospital of your choice which is affordable to you but choosing a particular hospital could result in getting operated on only by the doctor available in that hospital.
Cure My Knee has more than 15 best knee replacement surgeons in Delhi and other cities who can operate in more than 51 hospitals PAN India to provide you with the best treatment plan. Contact us to book your appointment for getting treated in the hospital of your choice with our experienced surgeons.
Your knees are the most crucial joint of the body. During our day-to-day tasks, we exert a lot of pressure on our knees. It is very important to take good care of the knees.
However, age, injury, lack of calcium and vitamin D, or an inactive lifestyleare some factors that damage your knees. If your knees are in pain, consult with the top knee replacement surgeon in Delhi at Cure My Knee.
Patient Name: Harish Chandra Nijhawan
Age: 72 years
Type of surgery: Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Date of Surgery: 11.02.21
Mr. Harish Chandra Nijhawan was suffering from severe pain in both of his knees for past 7-8 years and he had been facing problems in the basic day-to-day tasks throughout these years.
He mentioned that it was very difficult for him to even get out of the house. He loves visiting his friends and family members but his knee pain became a huge obstacle for him.
In the meantime, he went to many doctors but nothing helped. The only way for him was surgery and he had developed a fear from surgeries. The patient mentioned that he had started losing all his hopes of getting better until his children introduced him to Cure My Knee (CMK).
“I was in immense pain. It was frustrating, not being able to walk like normal people. With time, my life became colourless. I would struggle to walk from one room to another. Visiting my close ones seemed difficult. I gave up and accepted this as I understood this to be my destiny till my last breath. But I am very grateful to Dr. D. K Das, who came into my life as an angel. He helped me eradicate my fear of surgery and empowered me to live independently, free from pain. Pain is not the end of your life, you not doing anything to cure the pain is.”
Mr. Harish is 72 years old and he weighed 102 kg but his surgery was successful and today he can walk comfortably and perform all his daily activities without any problem.
He is one of our happy and satisfied patients.
Patient Name: Mr. Dinanath
Age: 58 years
Type of Surgery: Total Knee Replacement (Both knees)
Date of Surgery: 27.08.20
Mr. Dinanath was suffering from knee pain and deformity for the last 7 years. He was working and it was difficult for him to attend the office every day. He was not only worried but had to suffer for performing the basic day-to-day activities. His condition started getting worse with time.
“I was in pain not in my knees but in my heart for I had to struggle for everything; walking; using rest room; going to the office or someone's house. With time, my leg started creating problems in my social relationships as well. I had lost all my hopes. I never thought if I would ever be able to feel normal again until my knee surgery.” Says Mr. Dinanath.
He got in contact with Dr. D. K Das, a senior orthopedic surgeon through Cure My Knee. Looking into his misery, Dr. D. K Das took his case into his safe hands. His surgery was a success and now he can not only walk normally but perform all those tasks that he wished to.
Mr. Dinanath is one of our happy and satisfied patients.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
The cost of knee replacement surgery varies depending on multiple factors which include: Size and Brand of hospital, Techniques used in knee replacement surgery, Type of implant used, medical condition of the patient
- Unilateral Knee Replacement Surgery: Rs. 1,29,000 + Implants
- Bilateral Knee Replacement Surgery: Rs. 2,25,000 + Implants
- Note: Implants cost depend on the type & company.
The traditional method of (TKR) Total Knee Replacement surgery takes around 2-5 hours but at CMK, we use the latest techniques to provide you with a fast and hassle-free surgical experience. Our doctors usually perform (TKR) Total Knee Replacement surgery around 60-90 minutes.
- Patient's eligibility for surgery is checked.
- Anesthesia is injected
- Re-surfacing of patella
- Prosthesis is implanted
- Mobility check
- Knees are stitched back
At Cure My Knee, we have highly experienced knee replacement surgeons impaneled with us who perform minimally invasive surgery with minimal cuts and more minor bleeding and little pain. During the surgery, anesthesia is used to numb the pain. However, after the surgery, the patient will feel some pain in the treated area which will fade after healing in no time.
Healing depends from patient to patient. Physical therapy plays the most vital role in healing time. However, usually, a patient can perform their daily activities in 3-5 weeks.
Make sure to follow all the instructions given by your knee replacement surgeon. Strictly follow your physical therapy instructions. Don't put extra pressure on the knees. Don't sit cross-legged until your doctor suggests.
Yes, you can climb stairs safely after knee replacement surgery. For the first several weeks after the Total Knee Replacement Surgery, it is advised to climb stairs slowly, with one foot at a time with the help of crutches.
As the recovery continues, you will be able to climb stairs holding the banister. Always consult your doctor for better advice.
- Robotic knee replacement surgery allows the surgeon to get patient-related details and 3D pre-planning, virtual surgery, and precise cutting to provide accurate and precise surgery results.
- In robotic joint replacement surgery, a robotic system and a combined tool are used to obtain accurate outcomes from the surgery.
Dr. D.K Das is a well-experienced orthopedic and joint replacement surgeon with areas of expertise including joint deformities and pain management. He has worked in various prestigious hospitals.
He is the founder and director of Cure My Knee, a next-generation healthcare system where complex orthopedic conditions are treated with equal care and expertise.
- Use an ice pack for swelling
- Walk with a walker or crutches
- Take physiotherapy seriously
- Sit on a high chair that your knees
- Consult your orthopedic surgeon from time to time
- Don’t cross your legs inwards
- Avoid falling down & accidents
- Avoid bending from your waist
- Don’t drive until your doctor’s advice
- Avoid lifting heavy objects