We offer traditional treatment methods as well as latest surgery techniques that help you in faster recovery. At Cure My Knee, all common to difficult and complex orthopedic conditions are treated with equal respect and expertise.
Dr. D K Das, (Founder & Director of CMK) he is also one of the best knee, hip, and joint replacement surgeon in Delhi NCR. With profound knowledge and more than 22 years of experience, he has treated more than 10,000 patients in India and abroad. Along with his highly skilled team of surgeons, anesthetists, cardiologists, medicine specialists and physiotherapists at Cure My Knee, he makes sure that the patient receives a risk-free and painless treatment.
List of Top 15 Knee Replacement Surgeon in Delhi
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee Replacement Surgery, also called Knee Arthroplasty, is a medical procedure in which orthopedic surgeons cure knee pain or deformity of patients by removing the damaged parts of their knee. In this procedure, they replace the damaged knee parts with implants made of alloys, high-grade plastics, or polymers. The goal of knee replacement surgery is to reduce pain and improve the mobility of the patient. To diagnose the exact cause of knee pain or immobility, doctors recommend radiology tests like X-rays and MRIs. Blood tests are also recommended to check other causes for the right treatment. After diagnosing the exact cause, the orthopedic surgeon will recommend the right treatment. There are some conditions that can be cured by physiotherapy and medications, but some severe conditions require total or partial knee replacement surgery.
Before finalizing the treatment and implants, surgeons may consider many factors, like age, weight, and the previous treatment history of the patient. Since there are many implant options available, patients can choose the branded implant for themselves as per their budget.
What are the Types of Knee Replacement Surgery?
Depending upon the location of the deformity in the knees, your surgeon may advise you to undergo one of the types of knee replacement surgery as mentioned below:
Total Knee Replacement
Partial Knee Replacement
Revision Total Knee Replacement
In Total Knee Replacement surgery, the damaged knee joint is completely replaced with a prosthesis (artificial Joint). The surgeon will remove the damaged bone, cartilage, and connective tissues and will replace it with an artificial joint made up of metal, alloys, plastic, or gold.
The damaged cartilage from the thighbone and shinbone will be removed along with the kneecap and other supportive connective tissue and replaced with a prosthesis by an orthopedic surgeon.
Patient Videos After Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi
When a Knee Replacement is Needed?
Knee replacement surgery is recommended for people who have severe chronic pain in their knees that doesn't get better with conservative treatments like medicine, injections, and physiotherapy. A degenerative joint disease called arthritis is usually the major cause of knee pain and stiffness, which makes the knee joint condition worse over time, making it hard to move and perform daily routine tasks like walking, going upstairs, or even simple tasks like using the bathroom or getting up from a chair or bed.
Some severe arthritis cannot be cured by other treatments, which is why knee replacement surgery is recommended. This surgery is the permanent cure for severe knee pain, which makes it possible to do everyday activities without being limited by knee pain.
Symptoms you need to understand: -
- Chronic pain
- Difficulty in walking
- Difficulty in folding or stretching the knees
- Tingling sensation
- Stiffness in the joints
What is the procedure for Total Knee Replacement?
The surgical procedure will depend upon the patient's requirements but some general steps are to be followed in every knee replacement surgery.
Before the surgery
During the surgery
After the surgery
- You may be asked to undergo several medical tests before the operation to know your previous health conditions.
- Blood test, urine test, and an electrocardiogram for knowing your pulse rate may be suggested by your orthopedic surgeon.
- Your surgeon might also ask you to fast for 8 to 9 hours before the replacement surgery.
- You will be given general anesthesia before the surgery so that you are put to sleep or regional anesthesia to numb your operated part.
What Precautions to take after Knee Replacement?
If you undergo knee replacement surgery, you would need to take care of certain things. Here are Pre and Post knee surgery precautions, you should know.
- Walk with the help of a walker for the initial few weeks
- Take good care while using the washroom
- Always sit on a stable chair
- Wear anti-slippery slippers
- Get a good and comfortable mattress
- Avoid using stairs
- Use a footstool to elevate your leg
- Follow your surgeon's instructions
The knee joint is a hinge joint that constitutes two articulations formed between the patella, thigh bone (femur), and large shin bone (tibia). The patella or kneecap protects the front of the knee joint. There are various ligaments that surround the knee joint and provide stability and strength to the knee joint. The knee joint is encircled by a joint capsule with collateral ligaments lining the inside and outside of the joint.
The collateral ligaments limit the sideways motion of the knee. Whereas the crossings within the joint are lined with cruciate ligaments. The Anterior Cruciate ligament (ACL) helps stabilize the knee joint by connecting the thigh bone to shinbone. The Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) which works as a counterpart to the ACL limits the backward motion of the tibia.
The meniscus is a C-shaped thickened cartilage pad, between the shinbone and the thigh bone. Each of your knees has two menisci, one on the inside(medial aspect), and the other one outside (lateral aspect) of your knee joint.
Bursae is the fluid-filled sacs serve as gliding surfaces between the knee joint and reduce the friction of the tendons. Patellar tendon is a large tendon attached to the front of the tibial bone and large blood vessels referred to as popliteal space passing through the area behind the knee promotes blood circulation throughout the knee joint.
Muscles Surrounding the Knee Joint
- Quadriceps muscles: Present in front of the thigh and extend throughout the knee joint. It constitutes the main bulk of the thigh and are the most powerful muscles in the body.
- Hamstring muscles: These muscles run down the back of the thigh and helps bend your knee and extend your hip.
Functions of the Knee
The knee joint is one of the strongest joints in the human body allowing movement of the leg while supporting the body's weight. The knee flexes normally to a maximum of 135 degrees and extends to 0 degrees. The knee joint helps in carrying out essential movements like walking, standing, running, and sitting.
What are the diagnostic tests done before the surgery?
Before knee replacement surgery, a patient undergoes a complete physical examination in addition to other imaging tests to know the patient's medical condition. The diagnostic tests done before the surgery suggested by the knee replacement surgery doctor in Delhi are:
- MRI of the affected joint
- Blood profile test
- Blood sugar test
- CBC Test
- LFT & KFT Test
- Chest X-ray
- ECG Test
- DSE Test
- HIV Test
Some of these tests are suggested to every patient but some special tests like Chest X-ray and DSE test are suggested to only those patients who have some previous health condition.
What is the best age to have Knee replacement surgery?
Knee pain is a common problem that anyone can experience. It usually occurs due to any injury, illness, disease, or overuse of the joint. A knee replacement surgery helps a patient restore the mobility and functioning of the knee. Many people believe that knee replacement surgery should only be done in old age. But in reality, anybody can undergo knee replacement surgery depending on the severity of their problem. Anyone can undergo knee replacement surgery if -
- There been any underlying diseases since your childhood
- You experience extreme pain in your knees
- Your knee pain doesn't go away with medicines and physiotherapy
- You are unable to perform your daily life activity due to knee pain
- You have met with an accident or injury that had damaged your knee joint
What is the success rate of Knee Replacement surgery?
Knee Replacement Surgery has a very high success rate with very few complications. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), more than 90% of patients experience a reduction in their knee pain after they went for knee replacement surgery.
According to recent research done by “Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches”, more than 90% of knee replacement surgery lasts about 10 years and 80% of knee replacement lasted about 20 years. Exercise, physical therapy and stretches help the patient to ensure the long durability of the implants.
Always Choose Your Doctor, Not Hospital!
This quote is always true. Choosing a Doctor is always better than choosing your hospital because:
- Doctors are always experienced in treating the problem the patient face but maybe the hospital you choose does not have a doctor who is having relevant experience in your problem. So, choosing your doctor can result in the diagnosis and treatment of your specific problem.
- The consultation charges of the hospital may vary from the doctor's consultation charge in the clinics. So, choosing your doctor is more cost-effective than choosing your hospital.
- The hospitals also charge some amount for the services they provide apart from the consultation charge but seeing a doctor in their personal clinic could only result in the consultation charge.
- Choosing a doctor is also helpful because your doctor can operate in any hospital of your choice which is affordable to you but choosing a particular hospital could result in getting operated on only by the doctor available in that hospital.
Cure My Knee has more than 15 knee replacement doctor in Delhi and other cities who can operate in more than 51 hospitals PAN India to provide you with the good treatment plan. Contact us to book your appointment for getting treated in the hospital of your choice with our experienced surgeons.
Your knees are the most crucial joint of the body. During our day-to-day tasks, we exert a lot of pressure on our knees. It is very important to take good care of the knees.
However, age, injury, lack of calcium and vitamin D, or an inactive lifestyleare some factors that damage your knees. If your knees are in pain, consult with knee specialist doctor in Delhi at Cure My Knee.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
The cost of knee replacement surgery varies depending on multiple factors which include: Size and Brand of hospital, Techniques used in knee replacement surgery, Type of implant used, medical condition of the patient
- Unilateral Knee Replacement Surgery: Rs. 1,29,000 + Implants
- Bilateral Knee Replacement Surgery: Rs. 2,25,000 + Implants
- Note: Implants cost depend on the type & company.
The traditional method of (TKR) Total Knee Replacement surgery takes around 2-5 hours but at CMK, we use the latest techniques to provide you with a fast and hassle-free surgical experience. Our doctors usually perform (TKR) Total Knee Replacement surgery around 60-90 minutes.
In the process of TKR, knee replacement surgeon in Delhi follow the given procedures:
- Patient's eligibility for surgery is checked.
- Anesthesia is injected
- Re-surfacing of patella
- Prosthesis is implanted
- Mobility check
- Knees are stitched back
At Cure My Knee, we have highly experienced knee replacement surgeons impaneled with us who are also known to be knee replacement specialist in Delhi. They perform minimally invasive surgery with minimal cuts and minor bleeding, and slight pain. During the surgery, anesthesia is used to numb the pain. However, after the surgery, the patient will feel some pain in the treated area which will fade after healing.
Healing depends from patient to patient. Physical therapy plays the most vital role in healing time. However, usually, a patient can perform their daily activities in 3-5 weeks.
Make sure to follow all the instructions given by your knee replacement surgeon. Strictly follow your physical therapy instructions. Don't put extra pressure on the knees. Don't sit cross-legged until your doctor suggests.
Yes, you can climb stairs safely after knee replacement surgery. For the first several weeks after the Total Knee Replacement Surgery, it is advised to climb stairs slowly, with one foot at a time with the help of crutches.
As the recovery continues, you will be able to climb stairs holding the banister. Always consult your knee replacement surgeon in Delhi for better advice.
- Robotic knee replacement surgery allows the surgeon to get patient-related details and 3D pre-planning, virtual surgery, and precise cutting to provide accurate and precise surgery results.
- In robotic joint replacement surgery, a robotic system and a combined tool are used to obtain accurate outcomes from the surgery.
Dr. D.K Das is a well-experienced orthopedic and joint replacement surgeon with areas of expertise including joint deformities and pain management. He has worked in various prestigious hospitals.
He is the founder and director of Cure My Knee, a next-generation healthcare system where complex orthopedic conditions are treated with equal care and expertise.
- Use an ice pack for swelling
- Walk with a walker or crutches
- Take physiotherapy seriously
- Sit on a high chair that your knees
- Consult your orthopedic surgeon from time to time
- Don't cross your legs inwards
- Avoid falling down & accidents
- Avoid bending from your waist
- Don't drive until your doctor's advice
- Avoid lifting heavy objects